A healthy diet and active lifestyle don’t always equal a healthy weight, especially as you get older. Many men and women struggle with maintaining a healthy weight as they hit their thirties, forties and beyond. Hormonal changes can create an imbalance which sabotage your weight loss efforts, even with those who have substantial will power and healthy habits. Luckily, there are options to combat this fluctuation in hormones to help you maintain a healthy, svelte body.
Understanding Hormonal Impacts on Metabolism
There are many different hormones that impact metabolism. Imbalance, either levels that are too high or too low, of any these hormones can affect your ability to maintain a healthy weight. Aging can affect the levels of many hormones, as can other factors such as sleep, stress and exercise. Here are some of the hormones that are important in a functional metabolism:
- Thyroid. T4 and T3 are the two thyroid hormones that affect metabolism. Low levels or an inability to convert T4 into T3 can slow metabolism. Thyroid dysfunction and imbalance in these hormones can be hereditary, but diet, menopause, stress and other factors can also have an impact.
- Growth hormone. Growth hormone helps produce lean muscle mass and convert fat into energy, which both can greatly impact metabolism and weight loss. Levels decrease as you age, plus stress and lack of sleep can also affect growth hormone.
- Insulin. Over production of insulin can lead to insulin resistance and eventually type-2 diabetes. Too much insulin can impact weight loss by creating low blood sugar that makes you constantly tired and hungry.
- Androgens. Testosterone and DHEA-S (dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate) are both androgens, “male” reproductive hormones. In men, these hormones begin to decrease in levels as they age, impacting metabolism. In women, excess androgen hormones can lead to insulin resistance that can affect weight loss. A deficiency in women can also cause decreased metabolism making it difficult to lose weight.
- Estrogen and progesterone. Estrogen and progesterone can impact metabolism through insulin issues and changing how and where the body stores fat. Age, menopause, diet and stress can all impact estrogen and progesterone levels.
Hormone Balance for a Healthy Metabolism
Weight loss is hard enough without needing to fight against your own body. Hormonal imbalance can have a significant impact on your weight loss efforts, impacting your hunger, fat burning, lean muscle mass, energy and more. At Arcadia Wellness Center, we understand how these hormones can affect your metabolism and we start all our weight loss plans by performing lab testing to determine if there are any imbalances. If there are hormonal issues, addressing them first with hormone therapy is vital to helping our patients lose weight.
Hormonal Therapy for Weight Loss in Phoenix
Our medical director and nurse practitioner, Sarah Quinn, can help you lose weight through a personalized plan, including hormone therapy, nutritional supplements, weight loss supplements and a customized diet/exercise program. Call today to schedule your consultation to learn more about our hormone therapy options and weight loss plans for men and women at our office in Phoenix.